HOW TO SUCCEED
When Studying English Overseas
- If you are thinking of going overseas to study English,
- choices are limitless. Not only do you have the choice of
- countries but also what city in that country, and then what
- school in that city. No doubt you have obtained brochures
and information concerning several language schools and most of them look good!
- To help you succeed in making the right choice, there are
three important aspects in making your study a success. Keeping these three aspects
in mind will help you choose. The three aspects are:
- Right language school
- Correct curriculum
- Supportive homestay family
- All three aspects are important and need to be in place. If
one aspect is missing, or unsuitable, then your studying overseas might not accomplish
your desired goal.
- For example, if the school is modern, friendly, etc. but
the particular course in which you enrolled does not suit your goals, then your success is
- Or, if the curriculum is what you need but the school
facilities are sub-standard and unfriendly, then this could hinder your learning and
- If the Homestay accommodation is unsuitable and you feel
unhappy staying there, then this also will effect your being successful.
- On the other hand, when the language school is clean and
modern with well-lit classrooms, when well-qualified teachers have creative and innovated
teaching methods and the curriculum is in line with your desired goals, and the homestay
accommodation is friendly and supportive, then your success will be greatly enhanced.
- Of course, ultimately your success will also depend upon
your personal effort.
- Learning English overseas can be a great and positive
experience: you improve your English, experience living in another culture, make new
friends from many countries, and have the opportunity to explore new recreational pursuits
like skiing, horseback riding, bungy-jumping, jet boating and other exciting things.